Position Available: Thrift Shop Manager
The Junior League of Philadelphia, Inc. (JLP), the region’s premier nonprofit organization dedicated to women’s leadership, volunteer training, and community service, seeks a dynamic, talented, and highly motivated full-time Manager for its Thrift Shop located in Ardmore, PA. The Thrift Shop Manager reports directly to the JLP President and is a senior employee. The JLP Thrift Shop provides a service to the local community, by offering second-hand merchandise at affordable prices. In addition, proceeds from the JLP Thrift Shop, the JLP’s largest fundraiser, are invaluable in supporting the League’s community programming and leadership training. The Manager is integral to the organization’s success.
The JLP Thrift Shop grosses approximately $600,000 annually. Staffed by three (3) full-time employees, including the Manager, and approximately eight (8) part-time employees, the Shop is open seven (7) days per week.
The Thrift Shop Manager is responsible for the successful operation of the Shop, and must guide the Shop’s activities both to serve the community and generate income.
- Lead retail strategy for the Shop to maximize revenue and minimize expenses, through utilizing both best practice and innovation
- Manage full and part time staff
- Supervise day-to-day operations of the Shop, including but not limited to:
- Open and close the Shop in a prompt, safe, and efficient manner
- Perform accurate and detailed tracking of daily, weekly, and monthly receipts
- Deposit cash and execute credit card transmittals
- Maintain accurate and robust records of Shop operations and financials
- In collaboration with the Controller, order Shop supplies
- Address and solve maintenance issues and/or repair needs in the Shop, up to expenditures of $1,000
- Oversee the processing of donated and consigned goods in a timely, efficient, and consistent manner, including but not limited to:
- Establish pricing guidelines and ensure that staff are trained in them
- Research unusual or rare items, to guarantee pricing is commensurate with value, and maintain relationships with other businesses able to command a higher price for valuable goods
- Work with consigners to develop mutually beneficial relationships, and ensure that they are paid fairly and promptly for consigned goods
- Supervise the disposal of un-sellable and unsold merchandise
- Issue tax receipts to the public
- Issue tax receipts and quota credit to League members
- Manage JLP volunteer work in the Shop, including but not limited to:
- Support and guide the activities of the JLP’s Thrift Shop Committee
- Assign tasks to volunteers and provide instruction if necessary
- Working with the Office Administrator, make volunteer shifts available to League members for sign-up
- Record League members’ performance of volunteer shifts
- Oversee budget for Shop
- Prepare regular analytical reports of Shop revenue and share them with League leadership
- Represent the Junior League of Philadelphia Thrift Shop in the local business community
Qualifications and Expectations
The ideal candidate will possess a minimum of 10 years of experience managing full- and part-time staff, merchandising, and marketing a brick and mortar retail store. A Bachelor’s degree is not required but is highly desirable. Experience in retail consignment, fashion merchandising, or marketing is preferred. Candidates with a passion for contemporary designer fashion, vintage finds, and knowledge of the second hand retail market are encouraged to apply.
Successful applicants will demonstrate a proven track record of innovation and ability to motivate those supervised with an energetic and customer-focused demeanor. The Manager will be responsible for the Shop’s daily operations, including analyzing sales, profitability, and expenses as well as devising and implementing appropriate strategies to increase visibility, quantity of customers, heightened customer loyalty, and quality of donations while simultaneously providing a personalized and pleasurable shopping experience. The Thrift Shop Manager will also collaborate with the League’s members and professional staff as needed.
This is a full-time position of exempt (salaried) status.
- Medical/Prescription Coverage
- Paid Time Off
- 8 Paid Holidays
- Merchandise Discount